- PhD, American Religious History, Harvard University, 1998
- MDiv, Theological Studies, San Francisco Theological Seminary
- MA, Biblical Studies, Graduate Theological Union
- BGS, Literature, University of Michigan
- Political Theology
- Music and Social Protest
- “‘Devil’s on the Loose’: Creedence Clearwater Revival and the Religious Imagination” in Tom Kitts, ed.,Finding Fogerty: Interdisciplinary Readings of John Fogerty and Creedence Clearwater Revival (Eugene, OR: Lexington, 2013), 53-70.
- A review of Michael J. Gilmour, The Gospel According to Bob Dylan (Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 2011) in Church History, 81/4 (December 2012): 1039-1041.
- The African Diaspora and the Study of Religion, Theodore Louis Trost, ed. (New York: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2007).
- “Watching for Religion and Race at the Movies” in Carolyn M. Jones and Theodore Louis Trost, eds., Teaching African American Religions (New York: Oxford University Press, 2005), 219-240.