- PhD, Curriculum and Instruction, Louisiana State University
- MS, Gifted Education, University of Louisiana-Lafayette
- BS, English Education, Louisiana State University
- Social and cultural studies in education
- Girls studies
- Adams, N. & Bettis, P. (2003). Cheerleader!: An American Icon. New York. Palgrave Press.
- Bettis, P. & Adams, N. (Eds.). (2005). Geographies of Girlhood: Identities In-Between. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Adams, N. & Bettis, P. (2009). Alpha Girls and Cheerleading: Negotiating New Discourses with Old Practices. Girlhood Studies, 2(1), 148-166.
- Adams, N. & Adams, J. (2014). “We all came together on the football field”: Unpacking the Blissful Clarity of a Popular Southern Sports Story (pp. 337-347). In W. Reynolds, (Ed.), Critical Studies of Southern Place. New York: Peter Lang.