- PhD, Biological Sciences, The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, 2005
- BS, Biology, Rhodes College, 1999
- Interdisciplinary Sciences
- Water Resources: Natural History, Ecology, Management
- Climate Change: Science, Media, and Public Perception
- Wetland Ecology
- Starr, G., J. Jarnigan*, C. Staudhammer, and J.A. Cherry. 2018. Variation in ecosystem carbon dynamics of saltwater marshes in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Wetland Ecology and Management. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11273-018-9593-z.
- Osland, M.J., K.T. Griffith, J.C. Larriviere, L.C. Feher, D.R. Cahoon, N.M. Enwright, D.A. Oster, J.M. Tirpak, M.S. Woodrey, R.C. Collini, J.J. Baustian, J.L. Breithaupt, J.A. Cherry, et al. 2017. Assessing coastal wetland vulnerability to sea-level rise along the northern Gulf of Mexico coast: gaps and opportunities for developing a coordinated regional sampling network. PLOS One 12(9):e0183431.
- Lee, P.O.*, J.A. Cherry, and J. Edmonds. 2017. Organic nitrogen runoff in coastal marshes: Effects on ecosystem denitrification. Estuaries and Coasts 40:437-446. doi: 10.1007/s12237-016-0161-6.
- Thompson, J.L., A. Kaiser, E.L Sparks, M. Shelton, E. Brunden, J.A. Cherry, and J. Cebrian. 2016. Ecosystem-what? Public understanding and trust in conservation science and ecosystem services. Frontiers in Communication 1(3):1-9. doi: 10.3389/fcomm.2016.00003.
- Jones, J.A.*, J.A. Cherry, and K.L. McKee. 2016. Species and tissue type regulate long-term decomposition of brackish marsh plants grown under elevated CO2 conditions. Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science 169:38-45. doi: 10.1016/j.ecss.2015.11.033.