- PhD, University of Rochester, 2005
- MA, University of Georgia, 1999
- BA, James Madison University, 1995
- Feminist Film Theory
- Psychoanalysis and Popular Culture
- Girls’ Studies and Youth Culture
- American Cinema of the 1970s
- Queer Studies and Popular Culture
- New American Teenagers: The Lost Generation of Youth in 1970s Film. New York: Continuum Press, 2012.
- “Brothers, Sisters, and Chainsaws: The Slasher Film as Locus for Sibling Rivalry.” Quarterly Review of Film and Video 28.2 (Winter 2011):
- “Portrait of an Artist as a Young Fan: Consumption and Queer Inspiration in Six Feet Under,” in Teen Television: Essays on Programming and Fandom. Eds. Sharon Ross and Louisa Stein. Jefferson, NC: McFarland P, 2008.
- “Coming of Age in the 70s: Revision, Fantasy, and Rage in the Teen-Girl Badlands.” Camera Obscura 66 (Dec 2007): 25-58.
- “Riot in Girls Town: Remaking, Revising, and Redressing the Teenpic.” Journal of Film and Video 59.4 (Winter 2007): 20-36.
- “‘Delicate’ Cutters: Gendered Self-Mutilation and Attractive Flesh in Medical Discourse.” Body and Society 10.4 (December 2004): 87-111.